An Analysis of Educational Programs offered by way of Certification
in the Area of Information Technology
- A Proposal for an Independent Study under Prof. Jean-Pierre Kuilboer
- Arvind Sathyamoorthy
This study is aimed comparing and contrasting educational certification
available in the areas of computer hardware and software, like the Microsoft
Certified Software Engineer (MCSE), Cisco International Troubleshooting
for Routers and many simliar programs. The study intends to look into these
opportunities and also to provide material for a publication at a later
date. The mode of collecting data for this study will be mainly through
the Internet and also through mailing requests to various information technology
companies and educational establishments for information on the certification
programs they conduct.
Some of the areas that this study would look into include :-
- Duration of such courses.
- Areas in which the study is available.
- Cost of such education.
- Benefits to vendors, employers and employees.
- Pitfalls arising through this mode of education.
- The various modes of education available to a prospective student,
in terms of classroom (both through universities and otherwise),
computer based training, self learning, seminars etc.
- The need and frequency for re-training.
Analysis of the data so collected would be done through comparison and
also through the use of statistical techniques. The study would go on to
provide a draft and data for a paper to be published at a later stage and
would also provide data for similar projects and studies in the future.